The capital of South Carolina, situated right at the heart of the state, Columbia makes for the perfect holiday destination, whether you’re looking for a quiet family holiday or some fun with your friends.
You’ll Love Columbia If…
- You’re a keen golfer.
- You’re looking for an activity-packed family holiday.
- You like museums and learning about the history of places.
Perfect Family Holidays to Columbia
- Columbia is the largest city and state capital of South Carolina, USA. It is a city rich with culture and history, with many galleries, museums, shops, parks and sights of natural beauty that make for an idealistic getaway.
- If you are on a family holiday in Columbia, check out the numerous outdoor parks that are fully equipped with sports facilities from baseball to basketball, but also Lake Murray. It’s a great setting for a fun-packed family day out of swimming, sailing and fishing. There’s also the Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, which is considered one of the best zoos in America, with more than 2,000 animals and a 70-acre botanical garden
- Those looking for something that is a little more high-speed than Mother Nature alone, Frankie’s Fun Park provides entertainment for all the family, with go-karting, arcade games, amusement rides and laser tag
Top 5 Must-do Activities in Columbia
Planning your cost-effective holiday to Columbia, but not sure what there is to see and where there is to go? Our experts recommend:
South Carolina is well-known for its golfing and with almost 400 championship calibre gold courses it truly is a golfer’s haven. Columbia is home to several golf courses, such as Fairdale Country Club that is suitable for golfers of all skill levels
Mann-Simons Cottage is a must-see where you are on holiday in Columbia. The former home of a slave who liberated herself and earned a living as a midwife. It is a top attraction on a bus tour that explores Carolina’s African-American history
Described by architect Charles C. Wilson as “one of the most notable buildings of the world”, the magnificent State House is one not to miss for fans of architecture.
Governor’s Mansion is a great showcase of South Carolina’s rich heritage, with the public rooms displaying exquisite paintings, furniture, silver and china. A true treasure trove.
Finlay Park is the city’s most popular park. Opened in 1991 it boasts not only a scenic waterfall, but also plays hosts to events and festivals including the ‘Sizzlin’ Summer Concert Series’ – free outdoor concerts that caters for all musical tastes from contemporary to bluegrass.
Originally published on lowcostholidays.com